Saturday, March 20, 2010

Get It While You Can!

Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials has gone out of print recently, so I'd suggest buying it off Amazon at the advertised 14 cents before it turns into $80.

I got mine in the mail this morning (which was a nice surprise considering I'd completely forgotten I'd bought it). Basically, it illustrates alien species (I'm assuming all sentient) described in many great works of science fiction. The book was originally printed in 1979, so the style is a bit reminiscent of '80s creature and monster design. I am a little disappointed that many of the creatures are humanoid or hybrid in nature, but there are many that deviate from this extraterrestrial norm, and some are just downright bizarre/inspiring.

I don't think I would settle with any of the final concepts in this book as one of my own, but it's filled with creative fodder to stretch your imagination for aliens a bit beyond the Star Wars level.

So.. go buy it. Like, NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment